Post a Comment Print Share on Facebook

Police had a year on the radar of the perpetrator of the Berlin bombing

Failures in investigation and abandonment of victims mark the anniversary of the attack

- 28 reads.

Police had a year on the radar of the perpetrator of the Berlin bombing

It has been a year since an Islamist terrorist killed 12 people and hurt a hundred atropellándolas with a truck in a Berlin Christmas market, but wounds and research are still open in Germany. The victims feel helpless and new revelations point to bulging police failures.

More information
  • An investigation notes "serious failures" with Berlin terrorist
  • The suspect of attack was monitored and was to be expelled to Tunisia
  • Germany accepts errors in its internal security policy

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has visited relatives of victims of terrorist attack that inoculateded country with a feeling of insecurity and alert unknown until n and which still survives on Monday. The meeting with Chancellor is not a spontaneous act and not a voluntary one. The families of victims have bitterly complained about what y consider chancellor's lack of empathy in a letter published in early December. In it y speak of a lack of professionalism in "alarming" investigation, and y reproach Chancellor for not having met with m in a year to give m condolences in person or at least to have written m to recognize suffering of families affected. They also ask for sufficient financial compensation and free of bureaucratic obstacles.

This Monday will be held an institutional event of commemoration in flea market of Breitscheidplatz, where attack took place and where a monument will be inaugurated.

The lack of attention to victims is just a sign of chain of errors that allowed and followed attack. So far, several investigations have been taking account of police and judicial rulings that allowed Tunisian Anis Amri, 23, to attack a year ago in Berlin despite being identified as dangerous and having been rejected his application for asylum . New revelations published by Die Welt am Sonntag furr indicate that authorities knew that Amri was a dangerous Islamist at least one year before attack, around November 2015.

Until now, it was known that Amri had been detained and interrogated in summers of 2016. According to information of Die Welt, already in December of 2015 telephone of AMRI would have been intercepted and that same month would have downloaded in his telephone instructions to manufacture explosives. With that same apparatus he would have contacted months later with members of Islamic State and would have offered to commit a suicide bombing. No one has so far been able to explain why he did not shut up man who months later stole a truck, killed his driver and swept a central Christmas market in Berlin killing 12 people in total. Four days later, Italian police hit to Amri in Milan.

Thomas de Maizière, German minister of Interior, explained this Sunday to Bild am Sonntag that investigations are still underway and that y focus ir attention on relationship of Amri with Abu Walaa, preacher Salafist considered man of Islamic State in Germany . Maizière also said that, so far this year, security forces have thwarted three attempts at terrorist attacks.

The Süddeutsche Zeitung also reports that thanks to a new system of analysis, researchers are now able to assess more precisely danger of suspects. The data y offer are however not reassuring. Of 720 people registered in Germany as suspects of Islamic radicalism, at least half of m pose a high and concrete danger, according to documents to which newspaper Munich has been accessed toger with NDR and WDR chains. A third of 720 suspects also have a foreign passport. Accelerating ir deportations is one of objectives set out in Berlin, following failure of Amri's expulsion. This year, some 50 suspects — not all necessarily dangerous — have been deported to ir countries of origin from Germany.

Last October, an independent investigation commissioned by government of city of Berlin concluded that proceedings had been "inadequate," "late," or "unprofessional." The former attorney general of State at head of investigation, Bruno Jost, said during presentation of report that "everything that could be done wrong, was done". It was detailed that, in addition, during time he was subjected to surveillance only controlled from Monday to Friday, staying weekend outside police radar, and during day. When night fell, vigilance ceased.


You have to login for comment. If you are not a member? Register now.

Login Sign Up