Post a Comment Print Share on Facebook

Somalia rises in 154 the dead of the worst bombing in its history

The Government reports that 512 people were killed in the simultaneous explosions of October

- 55 reads.

Somalia rises in 154 the dead of the worst bombing in its history

The number of deaths in Mogadishu attack last October has risen to 512, said Thursday to Reuters an official commission that continues investigating number of deaths in attack. Last October 20, Government had raised number of casualties to 358.

Following attack on 14 October, government created a committee — Zobe Rescue Committee — to establish a more accurate estimate of numbers of deceased. The work is developed by talking with relatives of those who might have been at scene of explosions. "So far, we have confirmed that 512 people died in explosions of last month and 316 were also injured," said Abdullahi Mohamed SHIRWAC, chairman of Committee.

On October 14, two bomb vehicles blew up with little time of difference in center of Somali capital, Mogadishu. Witnesses told that shock wave of first explosion was felt throughout city and that it caused a column of black smoke three kilometres high. The second detonation, of lesser intensity, took place moments later near a market in district of Wadajir.

The attack has been deadliest since Al-Shabaab Islamist group began its insurgent activity in 2007. However, group, akin to Al Qaeda, has not assumed authorship of attack, worst in number of casualties in history of country.

Warning!

You have to login for comment. If you are not a member? Register now.

Login Sign Up